Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Eire We There Yet?

IRELAND:

is very beautiful.

IRELAND:

is also very wet.

But mostly Ireland (well, Dublin and the surrounding areas) is touristy, clean, full of green stuff and, above all, an adventure to get to.

Here is a picture of me and my friends getting on to a ferry:

This picture doesn't properly convey the amount of crazy that was going on at that moment. Because it was 3 a.m., we'd been traveling since 6 p.m. the day before, and we had just spent three long hours in a Welsh ferryport that was soaked and full of cuddling rugby players.

The ferry actually was glorious though...not that we would know from firsthand experience because we immediately stretched out on the lovely vinyl dining room couches and fell asleep.

Three glorious hours later, we arrived in Dublin only to find out that we couldn't check into our hostel until 11. That gave us a lot of time to wander and be cranky. But it ended up being kind of nice, because it gave us a chance to see things like this:

on one of the most beautiful days I have ever seen, anywhere. We explored the city, went to the Guinness factory, found a beautiful park and indulged in some retail therapy to soothe our exhausted nerves. 38 hours of wackiness later, we all crashed at the hostel. With Australians.

The next day was raining leprechauns and shamrocks. We had a bus tour planned to the Wicklow mountains, and some of the sights were spoiled due to the torrential downpour. Ignoring the fact that our pants were soaked up to our knees (the absolute worst, according to Sarah Kate,) we trekked onwards and upwards and saw gorgeous green mountains and trees. I have so many pretty pictures which I'd be happy to share, but I don't know how bored people get of scenery shots so I'll spare you for the moment. Make sure you avoid me when I come back, because I might corner you and make you look at them.

Oh, okay. Just ONE:

Amazing, right? The countryside was lovely; I can't believe how much history is in all of these countries. I also can't believe how being here reduces one to a toddler all over again...speaking loudly and clearly, asking everyone you meet for help, sometimes feeling utterly incapable of doing anything. But approximately 235 hours of travel later, I think we're all getting the hang of it.

PS. Lucky Charms are NOT the official food of Ireland, so don't ask for them in pubs.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alex - great commentary on Ireland. You are quite the clever lassie, aren't you? XOXO Mom

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Alex,
Don't listen to your mother. Lassie's dead. I really like the yak.
Love, Aunt Yakky

5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home