Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Surprisingly, the Spice Girls are not as wildly popular as one would imagine over here.

I'm settled in, to a certain extent. Of course, I am frequently un-settled, as I hear people speaking the same language as me and yet I have no idea what they're saying to me. I had to ask one poor guy to repeat his name like four times. Maybe I'll start faking a Spanish accent, so I'll have some excuse. Or buy them all a few of these so they forget that I am dumb:


Some things over here are very different in a way that I find negative:
  • No air-conditioning on the tube at rush hour, leading to unpleasant smells.
  • Celebrity gossip magazines unappealing and weird
  • Mayo, gravy, and butter on EVERYTHING.
Other differences are either interesting or preferable:
  • Emphasis on privacy means my own room, ensuite bathroom, in-room fridge etc.
  • Boys are polite and well-dressed, and are very prompt about buying rounds for their friends. Girls aren't expected to pay.
  • Amazingly wide range of dialects and accents, all of which make even the coarsest insult sound fun and sassy.


My "uni" is in the East End of London, which is historically a very poor community that has attracted many immigrants. Currently there is a very high Muslim and Bangladeshi community. It's also a little bit "dodgier" around here, not nearly what you'd expect of London if you just have the tourist ideas of the city in your head, which makes getting out and exploring a bit more daunting. I'm looking forward to it, though. Unless it means dragging 6 heavy grocery bags through the streets of East London and on the crowded bus like it did yesterday.

Nothing much else to report. The homestay was weird, though a good and necessary experience, and Liverpool was a pretty cool place to visit. Two days in a row.

I've met some nice people.
They are all very fun and funny and keep me occupied. Many of them go to NU, but I'm still broadening my horizons and trying to meet all kinds. That's why I'm here, "innit"?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alex! I'm loving this blog idea for you. It's a great way to keep us posted and I feel like you're right next to me when I read it. I'm so happy to hear you're having a good time and seeing some new things. Must be A LOT different than NY. Please keep updating this. Evanston isn't the same without you. xoxo, Robe Girl

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home